The 90/10 Rule For Easier Dieting
- What is the 90/10 rule for dieting
- Why 90/10 works so well for dieting
- Short diet breaks do not reset your metabolism
- 80/20 vs. 90/10
- It’s okay to go 50/50 when starting out
- Track progress with a calendar
- To build Mental strength: Go even further
The 90/10 rule for dieting
- 3 meals per day = 21 meals per week
- 10% = 2.1 meals, rounded down to 2 fun/ cheat meals per week
- 4 meals per day = 28 meals per week
- 10% = 2.8 meals, rounded to 3 fun/ cheat meals per week
You are on you’re way to become healthy and fit. Once you reach that goal you can enjoy more fun meals. But, hey, even if you are on strict diet you still get 2 meals per week that you couple with a nice event. Meeting friends, Pizza-night with your family. That’s pretty cool!
FREE DIET TRACKER
Why 90/10 works so well for dieting
- Going to the gym and having a nutritious and rich meal with laid out macros for dinner?
- Playing video games, snacking on cheetoos and ordering pizza?
-> Not helping
Short diet breaks do not reset your metabolism
80/20 vs. 90/10
It's okay to go 50/50 when starting out
- Week 1: 50/50 = 11 Diet/ 10 Cheat meals (I know that not exactly 50/50)
- Week 3: 60/40 = 13 Diet / 8 Cheat meals
- Week 5: 70/30 = 15 Diet / 6 Cheat meals
- Week 7: 80/20 = 17 Diet / 4 Cheat meals
- Week 9: 90/10 = 19 Diet / 2 Cheat meals
Some people go all-in on from day one and never look back. If that’s you, here’s my salute! For the rest of us, working towards a goal often works better.
With dieting there are so many things that change anyway:
- You start working out, prepping your food and watch what you’re eating.
- You make sure you stick to your goal and avoid any threats like the secret stash of chocolate bars.
That’s hard work!
Track progress with a calendar
The best tool to track your progress is a calendar where you can mark off the days that you ate like you’re supposed to. Have it hanging in an exposed area that you pass during your day and where you can see it often.
You can make an easy template yourself with a motivating headline like “I eat healthy every day!”.
- Eating healthy will feel normal and good
- The idea of cheating when you’re not supposed to will feel strange and undesirable
- You will feel great because you stick to your plan
- You will enjoy fun foods even more
- Lastly: You will feel amazing because you eat a lot of healthy foods
FREE DIET TRACKER
To build Mental strength: Go even further
Making a little challenge of this is a fantastic way to push yourself even further. It’s like a little experiment you do on yourself. How long can you go with out a cheat meal? Two cheat meals per week will keep you on track, but what about a two week cycle with only two cheat meals?
This wont make your diet progress better by a lot, because your not saving a ton of calories on cheat meals. But it builds mental strength. And it’s actually easier to wrap your head around, because the time frame is very manageable. Two months? That’s a long time! But two week? Sure, I could do that -that’s easy! And after that you KNOW you can go that long because you just did.
Let’s wrap it up for today:
- The 90/10 rule is a great tool to stay on course and keep focused on the things that have the greatest effect on the success of your journey.
- Eating 90% of your meals from a laid out diet plan makes sure the diet works.
- 10% of fun/ cheat meals is enough to give yourself a mental break on a regular basis which eases your mind.
- Use Pareto’s principle: Work hard on hitting your goal to have that 20% of effort do the work to get 80% of the results.
- Track your progress with a calendar to visualize how you’re doing. This is a great way to stay motivated and it’s really fun to watch the check marks pile up.
- It’s this the momentum that builds the new habit of eating healthy
- Increase mental strength: Challenge yourself and see for how long you can go without a cheat meal.
- Be proud, you’re doing great!
Once it sunk in that eating healthy is the way to go your will notice a feeling of lightweight, like a big load has been take off your shoulders. That’s your subconscious ,thanking you, for finally doing that healthy living thing. Lets make it happy, shall we?